I heard Merlin Mann and Mike Vardy mention Drafts for iOS on a few podcasts, and Drafts 4 was released a few days ago. It’s an endless notepad with the ability to “move” the text into other apps with ease.
Drafts swiftly gets my thoughts out of my head. It’s in my dock, so I’m more likely to write.1 I’ve also added it to my Today menu. (e.g. Swipe down from the top.)
Start in Drafts and decide where to save (publish) later.
- Workflows are magical. If I start writing a (rare) tweet, morphing that into a full blog post is easy. Drafts can turn a few words into a task in Things, or save a random observation to Day One.
- Cool feature: When you open an existing note, the cursor is set at its previous location.
- I love Markdown Preview for longer posts when I’m away from my laptop. I want to quickly confirm any linked text is correct, and I copy my draft from Simplenote.
The app is $4.99, and totally worth it! :)
Here are some workflows I use:
- Archive, Delete — helps when processing the Inbox
- Calendars 5
- Copy to Clipboard
- Day One
- Event in Fantastical
- Search on DuckDuckGo
- Task to Things with natural language parsing
Do you have any Draft 4 workflows or tips to share?
- I type faster than I write. ↩