Cultured Code released Things Cloud “Nimbus” a couple of days ago. I found myself skimming their Twitter feed and saw:
Mac: While viewing the Projects focus (⌘+5) — i.e. you aren’t viewing the details and To Do items within a project — select the project you’d like to copy, then press ⌘+D (Duplicate) to create an identical copy of the project.
(You can also duplicate To Do items.)
Despite not having read the Project Templates support page from Basecamp Help, I recently learned that I could create project templates in Basecamp—which include To Do lists—and longed for similar functionality in Things.
I…think they had it all along. :)
It should be listed on the keyboard shortcuts page (required reading for all Things for Mac users striving to be super efficient).
Here are some project template ideas:
- Packing list
- Important weekly/monthly checklists
- Irregular projects (new clients, employees, taxes)
How would I create, organize, and save the project templates for future use?
Initial setup will take less than a minute:
- Open the Tags window (⇧⌘+T), and create a tag named Template for the project.
- Click the blank area—in the row of the tag—furthest to the right, which will display a text area with a blinking cursor. Choose a letter to be used for a keyboard shortcut for the tag, like “T”.
Goal thus far — When viewing the Project focus (⌘+5), find your project templates quickly by pressing Ctrl and the letter you chose in step 2 earlier. (e.g. Ctrl+T)
Create a project template:
- Create a new project, which will be your template.
- Add your desired project tags, notes, and To Do items.
- Navigate to the Project focus (⌘+5), press the keyboard shortcut you’ve chosen for the Template tag (Ctrl+T, for this example), then move the project to the Someday focus (⌘+Y) to hide it from your Active Projects list in the sidebar. Once you’ve created several project templates, you can use the up (↑) and down (↓) arrow keys to select a project.
- Optional: While viewing the Project focus (⌘+5), select the newly-created project template, and File (⇧⌘+F) the project in the correct Area.
- Repeat steps 1–4 for additional project templates, as needed.
Now, you’re a few keyboard shortcuts away from creating a new project from one of your templates. By few, I literally mean:
- (⌘+5) Navigate to the Project focus.
- (Ctrl+T) View all projects with the Template tag.
- (↓ or ↓) Navigate to your desired Project item.
- (⌘+D) Duplicate the project template.
- (⏎) Open the duplicated project, remove the Template tag.
- Edit the project to be specific to the scenario (a.k.a. profit).
Dreyer’s Slow Churned Ice Cream. Tasty, late night snack.
Because intent is difficult to prove, the current interpretation of Section 802 could make it possible for the feds to charge citizens for deleting data at any point in time, were it to end up becoming potential evidence at a later date.
Does this sound like we do not have control over our data? Anything could become potential evidence.
If you’re looking for me, I’ll be in fetal position.